Tocados, hats, and hairpieces, oh my!

One of Jose's good friends is getting married in a few weeks (you might remember my post about us going to bachelor/bachelorette parties a while back). Today as we were wandering around the city center I found the perfect hat to wear. I have mentioned it before but here in Spain a hat or hair piece/decoration is a necessity at weddings. It is an accessory that you wear just like shoes, bags and jewelry. They are part of the style and flair of what you decide to wear. I LOVE THEM! At my wedding in Michigan my sister and mother-in-law both wore them (called tocados in Spanish) and then at my wedding in Spain my sister, mother and aunt wore one as well. Here they are looking gorgeous:

 
 
Tocados come in all different styles, colors and sizes here. You usually wear one in a complementary shade to the dress you wear. The tocado (which comes from the word touch) just adds that something extra to your outfit. They are a wonderful accessory and often times the bigger, the better (except when it comes to choices made a royal weddings). Here are Jose's cousins wearing a lot of different styles:
 
 
 
I got mine in a small shop which pretty much assures me that no one else will have it. In fact, I am more excited about my tocado than the dress I will be wearing. I can't wait to wear it and will be sure to update with a picture after the wedding. In the meantime here is a photo of the hat itself.
 



Beautiful right? Maybe it is something that we can bring to the United States. They are so much fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names