Thanksgiving decorations

When I was growing up my mom was the queen of holiday decorations. Every time a new holiday rolled around, out came the themed cookie jar, cut-outs, window clings, figurines, trees, calendars etc. I was anti-decoration for a while but I must be getting to be more like her every day since I am starting to do the same, bit by bit. I am starting to accumulate my own collection of holiday decorations, some bought and others crafted thanks to the various blogs and websites I follow.

Though here in Spain they don't celebrate Thanksgiving it happens to be my favorite holiday of all. I just had to have one little space to remind me of this day bt I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I decided to keep it simple. I chose our glass cabinet so that they doggie doesn't decide to chew on anything while we are at work.

Here is a picture though it is a bit hard to see since we are still missing our camera cable and I had to use Jose's phone:

 
 
First I printed out the art from one of the websites I follow that offered it for free and put it in an orange frame that we had that was empty. Then I added the two brown paper pinwheel flowers with orange centers to opposite corners. The ornament was a gift from my friend Erica and has the shape of Michigan. The piece on the left side is part of the centerpieces from my sister's wedding. She used a foam square and covered it with fall colored faux flowers. Then she wrapped a ribbon around the bottom to hide the foam. This made it all the way back over to Spain in my carry-on. Thanks again, Andie! (Here is a better view of it).
 


Even this one little display makes me excited to decorate for more upcoming holidays, especially Christmas. Jose and I will have our first tree as a married couple and I am tempted to put it up soon. I am not sure how we will celebrate Thanksgiving this year but hopefully we will be able to Skype with our family and be jealous of all the AMAZING food they are having. Usually my mom is great about cooking a Thanksgiving dinner while we are home, so we will just have to wait until the summer time.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names