Home is where the heart is

Every year for Thanksgiving people like to remember all the things for which they are thankful. There are a whole lot of obvious ones like family, friends, health etc. but this year I am trying to think outside of the box. Sort of. This year I can honestly say that I am thankful for home (in several senses actually, not just the roof over your head idea though that is obviously very important).

Here in Spain there is a lot of controversy going on about people being evicted from their homes after being foreclosed on. I see it on the news every day, people who are desperate and have nowhere to go. They are out of work and have been for a while. They have kids or are elderly. It is sad, sad, sad. I am thankful to have a place to live and to have security. Today I was also touched by the thoughts written in one of my new favorite blogs. The author wrote an article about a time in college when her family did not have a home and how it influenced her to become a blogger about styling and decorating your home.

http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com.es/2012/11/home.html

I am also thankful for the opportunity to go through the process of purchasing a new home. Though it has been tough and stressful at times, my husband and I are learning a lot about ourselves and each other with each disappoint. We are learning to manage our money better. We are thinking and dreaming about our future and how we will hopefully fill that home with children. We went and visited the site yesterday and reaffirmed that what we are doing is for the best. I am thankful for the possibility of creating a home together.

I am thankful for Spain as my new home. I have been welcomed here with open arms. I am thankful that I feel comfortable here and that I am adapting well. I am thankful for the people who have helped me in that transition.

I am thankful for my first home, my back home. I am thankful that I will always have somewhere to go home to. For me home means family whether I am there physically or a thousand miles away. I am thankful that I will be able to share that home with those future children. Home as they say is where the heart is and part of mine will always be back in Michigan.

 

Comments

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Lo que has escrito es precioso, Allie... ¡Un besazo desde Pamplona! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some handyman charge per hour and a few per job and add on the value of any expenses afterward . confirm you avoid surprises by posing for a quote for the entire finished job upfront.
    bathroom remodel Toledo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names