Forget zombies, this is what I am really worried about

Jose recently brought to my attention that there is an invasion currently happening here in Spain. These creatures multiply rapidly, can live in a host of environments and are creepily human-like. All I could think when he told me was, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" What is it that strikes fear into my heart?



Well, I will tell you. Raccoons.



You might think these little mask faced buggers are cute. I once did too. They are NOT! That is how they suck you in. If you have ever had one caught in your trashcan (which happened ALL the time when I spent summers working at a local park) you have probably experienced them very angry. They hiss and spit like little demons. I imagine they all have rabies and are more than willing to share. Plus they have those creepy little hands. Like a little person. Ugh. Not to mention that they seem to be attracted to me.

Jose and I decided last summer to go camping. It was a first for him and I hadn't been in a long time. When we arrived at the site they reminded us not to leave food out at night to keep the raccoons away. We did as we were told, packing up the cooler into the car and shutting the door. Then we climbed into our tent and crashed for the night (something about that fresh air). Later in the middle of night we heard what I can only describe as a raptor-like noise. Something was scuttling around our tent, poking the sides. Oh my god! I woke Jose up and told him to go outside and check. He wouldn't. Thanks. I unzipped one of the sides of the tent windows, zoooooooop. When I looked out with the flashlight there reflected back to me were little beady eyes. It was a raccoon and tried as I might it would not be scared away. It just kept circling around and around our tent making growly dinosaur noises. Maybe we had a bag with a banana peel in it that we had thought having IN the tent with us would keep the animals at bay. We were wrong. Raccoons don't give a hoot. I spent the rest of the night half awake, just waiting to hear that zooooooooop noise which would mean the raccoon figured out how to unzip and get into the tent. We were obviously not cut out for camping.

My problem with raccoons is probably genetic. My mom has been plagued by them at her house for years. Okay, maybe she leaves catfood out on her porch which might attract wildlife but still. She has several times thought it was one of her extra large kitties hopping through the swinging cat door she and my dad installed in the screen doors only to find a raccoon. They are just attracted to us and now they have followed me over to their NON-NATIVE Spain. What the heck? Apparently people have been bringing them over from North America as pets and they have been getting into the wild. People are sick. Here is the article that turned my stomach when I read it:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120828073306.htm


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names