Phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space (before pics)

Can you name the movie that this quote came from? One of my favorites! Well, this is a little bit how I am feeling with my apartment. It is only about 760 square feet (if the converter I used was correct) so we are getting creative with decorating and furnishing. Somehow everything seemed to be bigger in my mind during the purchasing process and as Jose and I spent the weekend measuring and taping off space on the floor to see how furniture would work I kept having to tell myself that this is a decent sized place for here in Spain. People just don't have the same kind of spacious homes as they do in the U.S. This means that there is no wasted space. You have to take advantage of it all.



A lot of people live in apartments here in Spain and homes that do not share walls (think condo-like) are pretty uncommon. The overall area and available land to build just doesn't exist here in Europe. That means you have to build up. My in-laws could not get over how every house in my hometown has its own yard. They truly value land. To own it you have to have money, lots of it. In order to add the illusion of having something green to call our own, Jose and I are planning an urban garden on our terrace but more on that in a later post.



Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about our new place! I am so excited to be able to live there. And, I grew up in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, no basement, small cottage turned house for my parents, 3 sisters, dog, cats, birds and I. That means that I have a pretty good grasp on living in a smaller space. In fact, I don't like the idea of having rooms that I never would use. We are going to be getting cozy, real cozy. Plus since it is just Jose, Cooper the doggy and I, we don't need that much space anyway. Our little family will make do just fine.


I hope you enjoy the before pictures of our apartment. We are still waiting on electricity so they didn´t turn out incredibly well. I tried to include some of the best views because let me tell you that it is tough to get good shots in tight spaces.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names