Super simple chicken tikka masala recipe

I don't normally share recipes here on my blog but I recently learned to make my favorite Indian food (and it was super simple!). Admittedly it is a bit different from a traditional recipe but I used what I had and could find easily.

First I made my spice mix, using about a teaspoon of each:



For those of you who don't read Spanish those spices are: cinnamon, ground cumin, curry spice, ground ginger, cloves and paprika. These were easy to find in my local grocery store. Other spices that might be used in tikka masala (coriander for example) I wasn't able to locate. Side note: I used whole cloves because I already had them which means you have to be careful while eating and pick them out. The resulting mixture that I set aside:




Next I cooked up my chicken. I used 2 big boneless, skinless chicken breasts.



To this I added a few chopped garlic cloves and half a large onion. The first time I made this recipe I also used a few chopped tomatoes. (Today I didn't have any but I recommend adding them). You could also include any other kinds of veggies you have around like carrots since they will cook down a bit and the flavor really comes from the sauce.



Let the onions cook down a bit and then you want to add some tomato paste. This should be enough to coat the chicken but not create a sauce. I used about half a small can.



Next comes the spice mixture. I basically dumped in on and stirred so that it coated and stuck to the tomato paste. This step smells AMAZING!



Now it is time to add coconut milk to make a sauce and to sweeten things a bit. I added about half a can slowly to make a good consistency. You mix it all up and let it cook for a bit.



All you need now is some rice and you are all good. This recipe only took me about 30 minutes from start to finish. It isn't exactly the same as the chicken tikka masala I usually order from my favorite Indian restaurant in Portugal but it is a pretty good fascimile. Plus this allows me to cross off another item from my 30 before 30 list! Double win!!

Comments

  1. Allie, please post Spanish cooking tips! I love the simple dishes with amazing fresh ingredients. What are some of your mother-in-law's specialties?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names