More on the 2-4-1 principle

The latest pile ready for donation
The 2-4-1 principle is an easy idea that helps to simplify things in your home. The plan is that for every new item you bring in, you should get rid of 2 (hence the 2-4-1). We don't follow this principle too strictly in terms of regular items, we aren't pack rats and don't have an apartment overflowing with stuff. Instead, I use this practice with our clothes, when something new comes in it is more than likely that 2 will go out. We always have a basket with clothes/household stuff to be donated. When it gets full, it is taken to our local drug abuse rehab center.

I first wrote about the 2-4-1 principle here and have been trying to apply it (especially) to Jose and my clothing purchases since. We donate quite a lot of clothes every season but honestly haven't been buying much to replace them. In fact, besides some work-out gear and new jammies that were gifted to me for Christmas,  I haven't bought/received any new clothes since this summer when I was back in Michigan and picked up a few things from Target. Before that I think I bought some new tights, a few pairs of flats after Jose demanded I throw out my old ones (he claimed he was embarassed for me to leave the house in them) and a cardigan last spring.

We just haven't been buying much in terms of clothes but today that could change since we are headed to the rebajas (after holiday sales here in Spain) with some leftover Christmas cash. Each of us have in mind a few things we would like to buy but I wouldn't be surprised if I came home without having gotten anything. Jose, on the other hand, needs to replace some clothes for work that are getting worn out from daily/weekly wear and tear. Wish us luck! The rebajas can be crazy, even though they have been going on now for a few weeks. If we don't find any good deals today we might try one of Seville's big outdoor markets tomorrow...

Comments

  1. Your 2-4-1 principle is a great idea! The concept itself doesn’t necessarily mean to limit yourself in buying new things, rather, a way to help those are in need of decent clothes. It wouldn't hurt to donate a couple of old but still decent shirts to those who lost their own clothes from super typhoons or other natural calamities after buying new ones. And the bonus part of it all is that you get to feel this sense of fulfillment in your life because of a simple, kind gesture.

    Alison Perris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names