2014 One word resolution: Proactive

Last year in 2013 instead of making a bunch of resolutions that I knew wouldn't make it until the end of January I decided to choose a word (in that case CREATE) to base my goals around. I wrote about it first here. This year my one word resolution is PROACTIVE. I have found that I need to stop being passive about certain things (especially my health) and start doing things to get to where I want to be, what I want to achieve.

In fact, this resolution actually began in the fall of this past year as I finally bit the bullet and got braces again as an adult. My teeth had been bothering me for a while. I noticed that they were moving. It was something that I focused on in each photo or when I looked in the mirror. Most people thought it wasn't that bad, but since it bothered me I finally became proactive and became a braceface again. (Read about it here). Even though it has been a complete pain in the ass, I am very satisfied with this decision and it has inspired me for the upcoming year. 

Here are some other things I plan on being PROACTIVE about:

A lot of people already know this, at least those closest to us but if not here it goes: Jose and I want to be parents. We believe we are ready now and in fact have been for a while. What some don't know is that we haven't had any luck with getting pregnant for some time due to some medical issues (mainly PCOS which sucks). For the past year or so I have been a bit passive about this partly because the Spanish medical system is different than at home and partly because I didn't want to admit to myself that we might be having fertility issues. I have decided that this year I will be proactive about getting things figured out, finding treatments and working to get pregnant if possible.

This year I would also like to be more proactive with our finances. I would like to see us save more money this year, perhaps create a budget, find ways to cut costs. We have one more loan to pay off (besides our mortgage) and I think we can finish it off this year if we are proactive. All of this is complicated by the fact that wages in Spain are significantly lower than in the U.S.

I am going to be proactive about crossing things off my 30 before 30 list. Read about it here.

I would also like to be proactive about keeping in touch with people back home. Sometimes I find that weeks or even months have gone by without me hearing anything from some of the most important people in my life. It is a bummer so I am going to make a better effort this year.

So that is it so far for 2014 and my one word resolution: PROACTIVE. Let's see how it goes. I am sure I will post updates throughout the year. Happy New Year to all!

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names