Come on Dover! Move yer bloomin' arse!

Today Jose and I visited the Gran Hipodromo de Andalucia, a horse racetrack that we can actually see from our apartment's balcony. Each Sunday during January and February they offer free races and we have been talking about going for a while (we could basically walk there). Today we finally did and it was worth the visit. Though we can see the stands from our home, I didn't realize how large the actual track was. It's huge!

The weather cooperated and we bought a few beers while waiting for the races to begin. They have one every half hour or so. Though we didn't partake in any betting (because we are pretty clueless) it seemed as if a lot of people did. There were lots of families there, enjoying a Sunday outside in the sun with (free) entertainment. When the race actually began, the majority of the people moved to the barrier to watch the horses as they galloped past. It was pretty exciting to watch them run by, but I had a hard time getting a good photo as you can imagine.

The whole time I couldn't help wishing that this was the kind of event that required you to wear a big hat and drink mint juleps. I was also reminded of a great scene from My Fair Lady and had we actually placed a bet probably would have yelled something similar. I mean, it isn't like anyone would have understood me anyway, except the few British tourists that we saw.


I have to admit that horses kind of freak me out because of their size. Really any animal that I couldn't take out with a kick to the face is a bit much for me (not that I go around kicking animals, it is just a way I judge how wary to be of an animal). But these horses were beautiful. Most of them were Spanish but a few came from the USA. Obviously I would have bet on them.

Cooling off after the race

Comments

  1. Thanks, Buddy. I have also enjoyed your blog and will continue to check in to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names