Eurovision 2013

Remember my discovery of the Eurovision song competition last year? Well on Saturday night it came back to entertain me once again.  This year the show was filmed in Sweden since last year´s winner had been representing this country. After watching the 26 songs I had my favorites. Spain´s performance was a real snoozefest so I knew they weren´t going to win. I liked Greece´s kilt-wearing guys singing about boozing it up (their song was titled "Alcohol is free"). I liked Belgium and Malta. Commercial music tends to do better in the competition I think and both these songs sounded like something you might hear on the radio.




After the performances comes the voting. Generally speaking countries with close ties vote for one another. So for example, Portugal tends to give Spain lots of points. Each country gives out different amounts of points depending on how they ranked fellow countries. They cannot vote for themselves. This is the most boring part of the competition. Plus it ended up that this year´s winner accumulated so many votes that by the end of the tally it didn´t really matter what the last few countries awarded to anyone else. There wasn´t any way that the second runner up was going to catch the winner which in the end was Denmark.

Here is a video of the winning song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL17Pdghdvo

Overall I would say that this year´s competition wasn´t as exciting as last year´s. Maybe because I knew more or less what to expect. I am hoping that next year will be even better. Can´t wait!

Comments

  1. I totally watched a review of this show today and thought of you. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names