Trash strike

Going on 5 days now there has been a strike of trash collectors here in Seville. They are only offering minimum services which does NOT include trash pick-up at least in my neighborhood. We don´t live in the cleanest, most well kept area to begin with so you can imagine how it is getting. Gross.



I have mentioned it before, but I will say it again. Spanish people love themselves a strike. I don´t even pretend to know what they are fighting for or against in this case. Trash people admittedly don´t have the best job in the world, but it is a job. As someone who dealt with trash on a daily basis during the summer for years I think I have enough experience to base my opinion (the other half of this job was cleaning bathrooms). My mother always told me, a job is a job. Here in Spain there are a lot of people not working and this is not by choice. Again, I am not saying these people striking don´t have the right to do so but it seems to me that there are probably other people willing to step in to take over for them. That is probably just the capitalist in me.

In any case, a trash strike is a way to hold the city hostage. I am just waiting for the plague to begin spreading around. I saw a rat when I took Cooper out the other day and about died. Sick. This is just another reason to be excited to move since it is outside the city limits and we will have trash service. It is looking like our move will be done by mid-February. Yay! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names