Things I have learned while moving

This has been a seemingly never-ending moving process. It just keeps going on and on and on and on. I am trying to look at it positively (besides having a wonderful new place to live) since anyone who has moved before knows how much of a pain it can be. I can honestly say I have learned a few things while moving.

First, Jose and I have WAY too much stuff. Way too many clothes, too many books, too many things. We are discovering things we forgot we even had as we pack up our old apartment. If we haven't seen it in so long that we could live without it we have decided to get rid of it. This goes for clothes, old notes and papers from school, kitchen stuff, etc. We need to simplify, something we are just realizing now. I have never been a person who accumulated a lot of things. In fact I have moved so many times since graduating high school (averaging once or twice a year) that I was never able to have that much stuff. A move overseas would logically reduce my crap even more but apparently it hasn't. Being married seems to have doubled my stuff. Weird...

I have also learned that I married a great guy (not that I didn't already know it). Jose has been wonderful. He has done most of the heavy lifting and subsequent carrying down four flights of stairs. He has done the paperwork and the driving. He painted and put together. And all this work with little to no complaining. Plus he lets me make all the decorating decisions myself with only the slightest input (please make it comfortable, can I have a t.v. to watch soccer on?). He is great and I am thankful for him. 

I am also learning a lot about finances. I have always been a renter in the past and now actually paying a mortgage has made me think about where I am spending money. Jose and I have basically been on a spending fast for the last few months besides household expenses (which add up quickly!). Furnishing even a small apartment is expensive. Creating a kitchen from nothing is expensive. Paperwork is expensive. Installations are expensive. Neither Jose nor I have very lucrative careers right now so we are definitely learning about money management. Can´t we just win the lottery?

I have also learned that there are some things that I would pay for someone else to do in the future if I ever move again (assuming I had some extra dough laying around). First, I would hire painters. It took us soooooooooooooooooooooooo long to paint our little apartment. So many coats of paint. Gah. I would also pay movers. I am sick to death of traipsing up and down four flights of stairs. Finally, I would pay someone to come clean the old apartment after moving out. We are still debating whether to do this now or not since our old place is a total mess. I am thinking the 50 euro will be worth it just to not have to deal with it. Thoughts? 

Basically I never want to move again, unless I have an unlimited supply of cash to pay someone else to take care of it for me. I can´t see this happening so this apartment might just be our forever home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names