Decisions, decisions. Kitchen design.

When Jose and I bought our apartment we knew that we would have to design our own kitchen. If you have never done this before, let me tell you that it is A LOT of work (and our galley kitchen is pretty small). There are a million different options and as many combinations. You can have granite, silestone, butcher block, formica countertops. What kind of faucet do you want? What about appliances? The choices are seemingly endless.

I cannot imagine how people are able to visualize and design larger spaces. I could not have been an architect by any stretch of the imagination. As my family and friends know, I have some major issues with spacial reasoning and the like. For example, I do not read maps with ease and trying to get from point A to point B in my head before heading out for a drive is a struggle even if I have lived somewhere for a long time. I am not sure but I think these shortfalls also have to do with why I really needed to see 3D images of kitchen designs to get a good idea of what the contractors were talking about. When one just drew out the design on graph paper I couldn´t follow many of their ideas. The computer aided designs were MUCH better. Plus I was not very familiar with kitchen renovation vocabulary so for the first two or three estimates we got I struggled. After that it got a bit easier since I knew what we could do with our limited space.

We have finally decided on one company to work with and will pick out our gray cabinets, appliances, countertops, drawer pulls etc this afternoon. It should take about a month for them to be manufactured and then just one morning to install. Now we are just going to be waiting. With our brown faux-wood tile floor we decided to use this kitchen as an inspiration (although in the beginning I really wanted blue cabinets).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names