31 Days of Frugal Travel Tips: Day 29


29. Bring just a carry-on: If you are flying try to only bring a carry-on. It will save you money if there is a charge for checking a bag (which is incredibly common on domestic flights). For the most part I have not had to pay for my first checked bag on international flights but I could see this changing any day (a second bag has cost me everything from 50 to 75 dollars and I only did this when I was moving overseas). You need to be aware of what the baggage policy is for the airline you are using. Make sure you check if there are weight/size limits for bags as well. Sometimes going over even by a few pounds can cost A LOT! My husband and I have invested in a hand scale to weigh our bags before we head to the airport. This 10 dollar purchase has saved us a ridiculous amount of money since we know that our bags are within the limits. I can´t tell you how many times I have seen people scrambling to re-pack or to throw away items just to avoid paying a baggage fee while checking in for flights. If you just pack a carry-on you should be okay. However, also be aware that there are limits for liquids that you can bring past security checkpoints. (I have also seen people parting with expensive make-up, perfume etc since it cannot go through). 

One extra bonus that worked for the husband and I when we went on a cruise with only a carry-on a piece: you don´t have room for extra purchases while traveling. With room so tight we weren´t able or willing to buy things to bring home. We could only really add to our magnet collection which was pretty frugal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names