If I hear Phil Collins one more time I am booking a flight home.

Because Jose and I are still waiting (im)patiently for our apartment, we have to commute into the city each day which gives me the opportunity to listen to Spanish radio and all it has to offer. As someone who HATES talk radio, I will often flip back and forth between three or four stations during the drive in order to avoid commercials and people who are running their mouths. What is played on the radio never ceases to surprise me. It would appear that Spaniards have what I will call an eclectic taste in music. The line-up of songs might start with something in Spanish and then jump to "It´s raining men" sung by Geri Halliwell (the skankiest Spice Girl if I do remember correctly, not the lesbo, or the blonde or future-Mrs.-David-Beckham-emo-never-like-to-smile Spice but the one who dropped out and ruined my childhood and belief in girl power). Inevitably the song "Halo" by Beyonce will come on (which for some unexplainable reason is the only one they play by her) followed by some 80´s hit you wish you never heard again (who is really hungry like the wolf at 730am, this isn´t a Twilight book). Next you will probably hear something recent like Flo Rida or Eminem (not that the listeners understand a word they are saying). Dispersed throughout are random songs in Spanish and you will most likely get some Coolio as well because as I have stated, Spain is single handedly keeping his musical career alive. I have heard Gangsta´s paradise more in the last week here than in the last decade in the States. Here is a sample line up:
Bruce Springsteen (who Jose always reminds me is ¨The Boss¨)
Rihanna (from the post abuse era)
Lady Gaga
The Cranberries (remember them?)
Lady Gaga
Phil Collins (noooooooo!)
Madonna (this will not be one of her bit hits but rather some obscure song or La Isla Bonita)
Lady Gaga
Shakira (enough with the World Cup Wakawaka b.s. isn´t that something a muppet says?)

And by then I am at work. You may have noticed a pattern. The day is not complete if we don´t hear at least one Lady Gaga song, often times two. Sometimes Spanish radio is nice because it plays a song that you think, "oh yeah I remember that". Other times not so much. And let´s not even get started on music at discos (not to be confused with clubs where only the ladies dance if you get my drift). I have found that you can remix just about any song into a techno version. Because really there is nothing that gets the people´s fists pumping like a remixed version of an old Italian song. Research it. It´s this summer´s big hit.

Here is the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6KN5DpQS8U&feature=related

Here is the remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yvjPBMsKqk&feature=related

Enjoy.

Comments

  1. Okay, I would like to put up a vote to who has worse music, Italy or Spain. I believe I may win with Italy. Okay the song you posted the link to is also huge in Italy, but you want to know who else is? Anyone that sings a song that is half English/ half Italian. For example, on Italian MTV the frontrunners for "The Summer Song" (countdown show with the most ANNOYING host alive) are this group called Sonorrha (which isn't even Italian). Imagine two teenage boys whining in Italian, then singing for every chorus "good luck my friend," which honestly has nothing else to do with the song. Another big hit of the summer: "Stanco (deeper inside you)" by some dude named Marco. He sings about being tired, then throws in a chorus talking about how "I I I I I I want to be deeper inside, I wanna kiss, I wanna kiss you". I'd rather have Phil Collins or Coolio any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap. I am sorry that you have to hear Phil Collins. I realized how much you loathe him when we did the 10 best Disney songs. Anywho, keep the blog coming. You are killing us. Your mother loves you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure José sings "Groovy Kind of Love" to you while you're sharing a horchata or whatever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names