Do not be alarmed! They come in peace!

Chances are that if you are at a major intersection and you are in Sevilla you will probably be approached by an African (not to be confused with African American so maybe African Spanish??) gentleman. Do not be alarmed, he only wants to sell you kleenex or some other random article through your car window. Said articles have been seen to include: rosaries, car air freshners, fans, key chains, etc. but never anything one would normally think, ¨Hell yes I need and/or have a burning desire to acquire that (insert item here).¨ Unless of course you are thinking, ¨Why yes I could use a package of kleenex for 3 euro. My nose has been running this whole drive. This man must have read my mind.¨ You can find these men out all day, even in the blazing heat of midday and strangely enough they are always in good spirits. If I were to have to be out in the hot hot sun, walking amongst stopped cars, inhaling exhaust, peddling random crap, I don´t think I would be as upbeat as they seem to be. It´s amazing. Plus, how do they decide which street corner-intersection to stand on? Is it like a turf war or do they civilly decide which one will go where? And who came up with kleenex as the big ticket item? I mean, once you buy a package you are pretty well set for life unless you are susceptible to be congested (read mouth breather-gross). If there is some sort of heirarchy of people who sell things on the street, the intersection fellows are certainly below the purse people but definitely above the dirty hippies who sell their jewelry (I mean who even wants to get close to them, so smelly looking). If I had to make a suggestion for them to perhaps make more money at what they are doing, I would recommend market research. Find out what your customers´needs are (i.e. ditch the kleenex). Or, if all else fails, go to the line where all the foreigners have to wait in line for hours and sell coffee, water, food, beer. There´s a way to make a quick buck. I would have given my left hand (not right although after a bit longer I would have considered it) for a cold drink while I was there. Just saying.

Comments

  1. Hillarious! I loved it. Could you please come visit the north or the country so you can depict us with your fresh, witty style? Pleeeeeaaaasseee, pleeeeasse!

    Manu pamplonica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha all very good points. The homeless people out here sell their spots, if they're in a 'prime' location. We have two regulars outside of Miller's Pub...one pretending to be a cripple in a wheel chair (heard he live on the west side in a nice apt) and another one named "Sketch" well because he sketches people. Here's my suggestion to all these people...GET A LIFE AND A JOB.

    I've been enjoying all of your blogs! Miss you dearly. Keep these coming!! Oh and just got your post card a couple days ago:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names