Graffiti

I hate graffiti. I don´t care if some people think it is artistic or makes a statement. I think it´s fugly and obnoxious. The first time I went to Rome, which marked the first time I had ever been to Europe, I remember being saddened by the amount of graffiti there was throughout the city. It seemed to me almost blasphemous that people would spray paint on buildings in such a beautiful and historic place. I find myself thinking the same thing here in Sevilla. I think graffiti is a selfish act because it spoils what would otherwise at the very least be nice to look at. Right across the street from where I work, someone has painted some quotes, in English mind you, in black spray paint. These quotes are something I am sure their creator thought was lofty and intellectual but really what civilized person defaces someone else´s property in such a blatant manner? Here´s an English quote for you: Good job, douche bag. Anyway, I´m sure Sevilla doesn´t have more graffiti than other cities in Europe but its abundance doesn´t cease to disturb me: Who cares that Diego loves MarĂ­a? Or that Pablo was here on 10 septiembre 2008? And why always in black paint? Did the tienda china down the street have only that color or was there some kind of a city wide rebaja? I think Sevilla is a gorgeous city and really the graffiti doesn´t detract from its appeal, I just struggle to understand the mentality of people who would take it upon themselves to do such a thing.

Comments

  1. Caught someone from New York spraypainting the Pictured Rocks National Park in the UP. Said it was his city's tradition to spray. Your dad beat him up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prisoners in the Tower of London had "their own kind of graffiti" and now they are all protected by a plastic plaque...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not alone. I'm in Montpellier, and the spray paint is out of control here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names