Things are not made to last

The tale of our T.V.

The other morning as Jose was watching the news our T.V. shut off for no reason. I was still in bed but heard his curse and it was enough to make me get up. Apparently our T.V. had died which is a real bitch because we had literally just bought a surround sound system (a great deal at a sale we found while grocery shopping of al things) the weekend before. We hadn't even set up the system yet, it still sits sadly in its box. 

We bought our flatscreen television no more than 3 years ago when we were in our old apartment and it later made the move with us. It was the first big purchase that we made together which is not to say that it holds some kind of sentimental value. Rather I make that point to show that we spent a good deal of money on this T.V. not very long ago. And it died. Dammit!

Not built to last

Things are just not built to last anymore. I swear that my family enjoyed watching the same ancient Zenith T.V. from the time of my older sister's first communion (cerca 1992) until my parents finally bit the bullet and splurged on a new flatscreen a couple years ago. In fact, this replacement of the original T.V. we had that only showed a few channels and had ever increasing and encroaching black humps on the sides of the screen for a model that was much bigger and had cable was a monumental event for us as kids. My sister even introduces the new T.V. in her communion video.

What I am trying to say is that things lasted much longer before. Now we can only expect to get a few years out of an electronic product before we need to replace it. For a lot of people this isn't a problem  because they automatically upgrade when something new comes out (see Iphones). Jose and I are not like that. I have had the same crappy Nokia flip phone since college. It survived being dropped, stepped on, being dunked in beer and more. I still don't have a smart phone but when I do get one I will look at it as an investment (like our T.V. was). 

What's a girl to do?

Jose and I decided that we would try to get our T.V. repaired since we didn't want to spend money on a new one AND because honestly, what a waste to just toss this one. It was SUPER difficult to find a repair shop but eventually we did. We are now waiting for news about what it actually will take to fix and how much it will cost. I think that if the repair will be over a certain amount that we should just buy another new T.V. Which sucks!

This is our set up right now, a buzzy 12 inch that Jose complains he can't see his soccer games well enough on. Here's to hoping we get the diagnosis soon and that it isn't too pricey!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names