Found dog, needs home

Carrying on the family legacy

This week as I took out Cooper for an afternoon walk I was approached by a mud-covered black lab. She was super friendly and when I petted her, she immediately sat down and pushed her head into my hand, leaning in to me (like a typical lab). She looked healthy and though dirty, didn´t seem to have spent too much time outside by herself. I think she is either lost or much more probable has been abandoned by her owners. This is actually something pretty common here in Spain. People (who I assume are suffering from the crisis) turn their dogs loose when they can no longer take care of them for whatever reason.



I have a soft spot for labradors. My family has always had them as pets and they are the best dogs! Wonderful with children, friendly and energetic. Though this dog approached a ton of people and was rebuffed by almost all (mostly in quite mean ways) I feel like she must have somehow known that my family also has a history of taking in strays. Especially my parents.



In any case after walking around with her for a bit to see if her owners might be around I went back up to my apartment and called a friend who is also a die-hard animal lover. She came over and helped me bring this doggy up to my apartment where we gave her food and a much needed bath. We then drove her to another friend´s home where she has been staying since as we look for a permanent home for her.

How much is that doggy in the window?

This whole situation has made me sad. I always get bummed out when I see strays but most of them have lived their entire lives in the streets and know how to survive. This girl made it pretty obvious that she wouldn´t have made it very long on her own. She was too goofy and too friendly. She would find someone who seemed somewhat nice and stick with them. Most people chased her off right away. Eventually she would have gotten hurt. Eventually she would become afraid of humans since they weren´t treating her very well. Sad.



I hope that we are able to find her somewhere to stay. She was very obedient (more so definitely than Cooper) and was used to living with someone (that was obvious). She needs someone to take care of her. We are in the process of looking. In case anyone knows of someone...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names