Books I have read in September

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker

This was a book I randomly picked off my mom´s book shelf before heading back to Spain. It was sort of meh for me. It was neither very good nor very bad, probably one that in another month I will only remember vaguely. Basically it told the story of a girl who suffered from a disease which caused her to become disproportionately large and how this helped shape her life in a small town.





A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin


After having watched the first season of the TV series and hearing about the books this summer from my mom and sister, I decided to give the first one a try. I was pleasantly surprised. Although this isn´t my favorite genre, it kept my attention and stuck pretty close to the show (which rarely happens in my experience). I would recommend this book and will continue with the next in the series soon.



A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

I pretty much hated the last novel I read by Irving (The Fourth Hand) but my mom insisted that his other books were better. Turns out she was wrong. Though I think the idea behind this novel was good I ended up getting annoyed with the constant anti-American commentary and the focus on the Vietnam War. It was like a broken record that interrupted an otherwise interesting plot about destiny, religion and how one small person can make a difference in the world.




Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim

I picked up this book a while back randomly at a pottery store in Portugal. It tells the story of a boy who is graphically abused by his Little League coach and how this ends up effecting his entire life. This narrative is intertwined with others that are equally as disturbing and sad. I liked the book and will probably check out the movie starring Joseph Gordon Levitt.
So there you have it, the four books that I read this month. Next I think I am going to tackle the next in the Game of Thrones series but am open to suggestions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names