Spanish Holiday Traditions: Sweet Festive Foods

Since I will be spending another holiday season here in Spain, I have decided to do a series of posts about holiday traditions that are important when celebrating. Some of them are similar to those back home, others are quite different. I hope you enjoy learning a bit about what we do here to celebrate the season!

Sweet Festive Foods

Like I think most places in the world, Spain has lots of sweet treats that only come around at Christmas time. In the U.S. we have holiday cookies and gingerbread houses. Here in the south of Spain we have equally delicious goodies to enjoy during the holidays. One big difference that I have noticed is that people don't bake as much as they do back home. It is much more common to buy your festive foods at the grocery store but that doesn't mean they aren't good! Without further ado, the food:

Turron



The way I would describe this is that it is similar to fudge. Turron usually comes in brick-like rectangles that you have to cut. It comes in many varieties, hard, soft, chocolate. The flavor is nutty goodness. Almost peanut-buttery. I personally prefer the soft turron.

Polvorones and Mantecados



Polvorones and mantecados are like dense cookies. They also come in many different flavors: cinnamon, chocolate, lemon, almond. They are soft and buttery, not at all dry due to their high fat content. They are quite filling but great with a coffee.

Chocolates and bombons



Though these are available all-year-round, they really are highlighted at stores during the holiday season. They are especially common as small gifts to people. You can get all different flavors and kinds of chocolate.

Hojaldres



Hojaldres are little puff pastries. The most popular kind are orange flavored.





Lest you think that Jose and I went festive food crazy, let me explain that I received a box of lots of different foods as a Christmas gift from my job (see above). We will surely enjoy them throughout the next few months (and have sent some home to our family in Michigan). Check back soon for more Spanish holiday traditions!

Comments

  1. Hi Allie, I found your blog through a mutual friend, and as a Spanish teacher, I love reading your insights into life in Spain. I have saved several posts to implement in my classes in one way or another, and this post will be a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bethanie and welcome! I am glad you enjoyed the post. I am going to be writing a series about Spanish holiday traditions in the next week or so, so be sure to check back!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names