2013 One word resolution: a year in review CREATE

This year instead of making a bunch of resolutions that I knew I would end up forgetting or quitting quickly after the end of January, I decided to make a one word themed resolution and chose for 2013 CREATE. I wrote about it originally here

My initial goals were simple:

1. I would like to create a home here in Spain that I am excited to live in and that people will enjoy visiting.

2. I am going to create more friendships here in Spain.

3. I love writing and would like to create some more projects this year. 

Recap:

Create project 1: I think that we did well with making our apartment into a place that we really enjoy living. It has taken us the better part of the year to complete all of the tasks but I think it has come a long way. We are really happy with the home we have created. So I would say that we definitely accomplished this CREATE goal. You can find all the updates on our apartment projects under the Nesting and New Apartment labels.

Create project 2: Slowly but surely I am breaking in to the social circles here in Spain and feel as if I have some friends to call my own. No one ever really mentions how difficult making friends as an adult can be! Add to that a different culture and it can be hard. I feel like I have made strides here though, nurturing friendships not only with other American expats but with Spanish folks as well. For this goal I would give myself a check minus because maybe I could have worked a bit harder.

Create project 3: Though I feel I have done well creating and writing for my blog, my other ideas sort of got pushed to the side this year. It's a case of not having the time or motivation (excuses, excuses, I know) to sit down and do what I set out to do. I am giving myself half a check on this goal.

Additions:

During the course of this year keeping in mind my one word CREATE resolution I also came up with a 30 before 30 list of things I would like to do before my next milestone birthday. Read the original post here. This has been really fun and motivating as I enjoy being able to cross things off. Next up is our trip to Morocco. You can read about updates and the like under the 30 before 30 label.

As sort of a reaction to my 2013 CREATE resolution, I have also come to realize during the year that no matter how much I wish I were, I am not crafty and trying to make myself be a handy person just isn't in the cards. Though I love spending time on Pinterest looking at other people's projects and ideas, I know I won't be able to recreate them. This has been a liberating idea. I got rid of all my old craft supplies and no longer feel bad that I don't have a project when it seems like everyone else is making cool stuff. Not this girl! In this sense I have stopped trying to live up to what other people are capable of creating, and to be happy with my different skill-set. 

So all in all 2013 was a pretty damn good year. My one word resolution helped to guide me throughout the year as a theme. It is something I plan on continuing now. Check back soon to find out what will be the new word for 2014! Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names