Come sail away with me (but help me first)

Jose and I are leaving in a few weeks for our honeymoon-FINALLY!! We will be spending a few days first in Paris where we will also be going to the Disney park before embarking on a two week cruise through the Mediterranean. We are both very excited for this vacation since we will be visiting places we have never been before including Croatia, Greece and Turkey (plus DISNEY).

That being said, neither of us have been on a cruise before. I am looking forward to it and I know that Jose is already planning how we will take advantage of everything the ship has to offer. We were incredibly lucky that people were generous at my honeymoon shower last year so we will have the opportunity to really enjoy our time onboard. I am positive that we are going to have a great time. My one concern is packing for this almost 3 week long vacation. Our goal is to only bring one large suitcase between the two of us plus a carry-on each. I always seem to overpack though I am getting better over time (I do not count my 3 suitcases while moving across the world several times in the last few years). I am using this blog to get advice about what to bring for our cruise and am hoping people will use the comment section if they have any suggestions or tips.

I have decided to pack clothing using two main colors (blue and coral/pink) as a base to maximize the outfits I can wear (I am not worried about repeating but would like to minimize wearing the same thing day after day). Then I have added some other colors for accents. Here is a picture of everything I plan on bringing right now. A breakdown of what will be packed will follow.



First and maybe most important since we will be using the pools and going to beaches are bathing suits and accessories. I am bringing 3 suits, a cover-up, a hat and a pair of flip-flops.



I am bringing 3 pairs of shorts which match every shirt I am bringing plus 2 pairs of jeans (one of which I will wear on the plane to save space in our suitcase).





I will be packing 3 regular tank-tops, 3 sleeve-less shirts and 2 t-shirts, one is more casual and the other can be dressed up.



In case the weather is a bit more chilly, I thought to bring one long-sleeve t-shirt, one cardigan and one light sweater.



For the restaurants that have a dresscode and if we need to dress less casually I am bringing a skirt and a dress that can be made more or less formal depending on accessories.




In terms of accessories I will bring one pair of flats, one pair of sandals, one pair of tennis shoes for days when we will be walking a lot, a couple scarves, one purse and some jewelry. Obviously this list doesn't include unmentionables, toiletries, sleepingwear and that I plan on bringing some clothes to workout in while onboard.

Does this amount of clothing seem right to people? Is it too much/too little? Am I missing anything important? We are flying with Ryanair which has very strict rules when it comes to luggage (both size and weight). Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Here are some of my packing/traveling tips. They aren't anything too original but might help you out:

I always recommend rolling clothing to reduce wrinkles and save space. I also wear heavier clothing and shoes on flights. If I am packing boots or larger shoes I will pack socks and other small items in them. When traveling I like to layer because you never know when you might get cold or warm. I tend to read a lot on vacations and investing in an e-reader has been great since I don't have to pack books anymore. If I am bringing jewelry that has value (either sentimental or monetary) I either wear it or pack it in my purse. This goes for anything valuable I am traveling with since I have suffered from lost luggage before. I would recommend a small travel jewelry-case (mine is thin and soft-sided. It zips open and has two pockets plus keeps my necklaces from tangling). I also have in my carry-on an extra set of underwear and my toothbrush since I have been stranded overnight before with no suitcase. It is a good idea to pack toiletries in zipblock bags in case they open and to remember that if they are going through customs or security they have to be small in volume. On vacation I only bring with me the things I cannot live without (like mascara and moisturizer) and try to pack things that will do double duty (two-in-one shampoo/conditioner). I keep my toiletries at the top of my carry-on bag so I can pull them out quickly to go through the metal detectors. That goes for my laptop as well. I would recommend wearing easily removable shoes in case you need to take them off. There is nothing more obnoxious then being behind someone who is going impossibly slow while going through security, especially if you are in a rush.

Thank you again for checking in. I can't wait to update about our vacation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names