Clink, clink, clink, clink, another wedding weekend.

Last weekend Jose and I went to yet another wedding. One of his childhood friends got married in his hometown. Their ceremony was a civil one (my first in Spain) that took place in a castle (how typical). It was a really beautiful space but I am sure that the Spaniards there were not as impressed as I was since castles really are a dime a dozen here. I mean, I grew up with the idea that happily ever after meant getting hitched in a castle. The actual ceremony itself basically consisted of reading the marriage laws along with the couple's personal information and then asking for their consent. There were no vows and though they had a friend give a short speech, I couldn't help but feel that the civil ceremony didn't really do justice to the act of getting married. It was very different from anything I have seen before. Overall, I am still glad Jose and I decided to have two church ceremonies.

After the ceremony, we headed to the reception site which happened to be the same place that Jose and I used. It was interesting to be a guest rather than a protagonist and to be able to experience a wedding celebration there from the other side. We didn't feel stressed, we didn't have to leave our meal to greet people, we didn't have a photographer constantly over our shoulder. The food the couple chose was different from ours but the overall feel was the same. The owner of the company made a point to come find us which was nice. Armando is a short, highly energetic man who seemed to be everywhere the day that Jose and I got married. Every time I turned around he was there. The DJ thankfully was different too, no gay Fran at this reception.

Since Jose is still friends with a group of guys that he went to elementary school with, there was a fairly large number of overlapping guests that attended both weddings. We sat with half of them at our table and another table was next to us. Those who had been at our wedding were the ones who were constantly calling for us to kiss (especially as the night and the drinking went on) which in my family at least means clinking your glasses with your silverware. Clink, clink, clink, clink, clink. When this happens you have to find your new mate and smooch. It can get trying after a whole night. In Spain if you want the newlyweds to kiss you shout: VIVAN LOS NOVIOS!! As there was a table with my family members at my wedding who were clinking glasses, our tradition soon passed around the room. The Spanish people picked it up quickly, especially Jose's little cousins and apparently his childhood friends. As we sat at his friends' wedding a few weeks later, I started to hear glasses clinking at the table next to us. YES!! Soon the bride's sister was doing it too. It looks like our tradition has now passed over into this small group at least. Hopefully it will spread. I am certainly going to encourage it and will keep you updated as we attend more weddings this summer and next fall.

Comments

  1. Perfect! Claudia was so cute with the clinking. Glad it took hold. I am disappointed that there was no sexy car dance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names