7 great things to miss about fall

Fall in the south of Spain
My favorite season

The last week or so has seen my Facebook page innundated with people posting updates about fall and all the fun activities they are participating in. Autumn is my favorite season which is a real bummer here in the south of Spain since it basically doesn't exist. There is no real cool down, the kind the screams for jeans and sweatshirts. The (palm) trees don't change colors and the leaves don't fall. I miss it! Here is a list of the top ten things that I really am wishing for during this season here in Spain:

1. Halloween candy
The other day when grocery shopping I noticed that they were offering mixed bags of Halloween candy but it just isn't the same. I miss the Reese's in the autumn colored wrappers, the mini-sized goodness available everywhere. We will be accepting boxes with donations of candy. I can message the address...

2. Apples
Visiting apple orchards was pretty standard back in Michigan during the fall. Here I can buy apples but again, the whole experience just isn't the same. There are no tractors, no U-picks, no hay bales. Even store bought apples taste better back home at this time of year.

3. Fall flavors
Besides apples, fall brings with it lots of other good flavors. Pumpkin beer, spiced coffee, cinnamon, clove, tastes that only seem appropriate this time of year. I like it and miss it all.

4. Cool mornings, cool evenings
I would love to have to sleep with a blanket at this point. It is still too warm here. In fact I am sweating wearing shorts as I write right now. There is nothing like waking up and leaving in the morning when it is cool but not yet cold (no to scraping off car windshields!). It even smells different on those mornings, crisp and clean.

5. The smell of burning leaves
This might not be the most environmentally friendly activity but the smell certainly screams fall. Though it can be obnoxious if it is too strong, bonfire smell from off in the distance is comforting and fall-ish. 

6. Thanksgiving
This is my absolute favorite holiday. I have not celebrated it here yet but am planning to this year. What is there not to love about a day of relaxing, eating and being with family. I love Thanksgiving and am going to attempt to cook a dinner here this year. Here's to hoping I can find all of the ingredients and components I will need.

7. Fall colors
Plums, reds, brown, orange, burgandy, you get the idea. For me until it is cool I can't transition into this color palette. The landscape here isn't reflecting these colors, everything is still green and bright. Before we know it, it will be gray and winter (which here means rain, boo!)

There are times that I definitely miss having four defined seasons, especially when we basically skip over my favorite. I am going to try to fake it this year by perhaps decorating around the apartment and cooking up some fall themed grub. That way at least I can have some of the experience, though I know it won't be real. Waaahhhhhh!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names