Summer in Michigan bucket list 2016

This summer we are headed back to Michigan to see our family and friends! Yay! This means a trip which consists of three flights and almost an entire day of travel with our twinfants. No! The plus side of traveling with them at what will be four months old is that we don't have to pay for seats on the airplane. The down side being that they will be in our laps for lots of flight hours. I am seriously praying that they behave and don't cry the entire time. Hopefully they will sleep. Please let them sleep. For reals.

Anyway, it will have been two years since we have been home by the time we get there this summer. That's a long time. To give you an idea, I have a niece who will be turning one who I haven't even met yet. There are a lot of positives about living abroad and the south of Spain is a beautiful place but often times it sucks because you miss big life events. Most recently has been a couple weddings for both family and friends. I hate it and adding little ones in the family is just making things more difficult. But let's get back to the positive which is that we will be back home for the summer! 


You guys, I basically grew up in a cottage and while space was limited, summers on a lake in Michigan are freaking awesome. I can't wait for my girls to have the same experience. Like we were NEVER out of our bathing suits. We slept in them, went to church in them, what else do you need? Plus my parents have been upgrading stuff around the lake like a new pontoon boat and a new raft now that they have grandbabies, so there are even more cool things to play with. I also wonder what else we could take them into getting.

I have decided to continue with my semi-tradition of creating a summer bucket list which I did the first time in 2013. You can read that post here. A lot of the things on that list had to do with food which is shocking I know. Actually the one for this year is going to probably be quite similar. In 2014 I wrote about the big things that I was looking forward to doing over the summer (it was a super busy time during our visit home). You can read about that summer list here. Last summer we didn't go back to the US. We were doing some fertility treatments so we decided to stay in Spain because it was a huge investment both financially and in terms of our time. But look at our result!!

So here goes our summer bucket list for 2016 with the babies:

1. Go to Dairy Queen (often) for Reese's peanut butter cup blizzards. I had serious cravings for these while pregnant and the closest I could get were McFlurries from McDonald's which are just NOT the same. I love soft serve ice cream. 

2. GAGME (Garber Annual Gathering) which is our new annual family outing with my parents, siblings and their families. Our first trip was to Washington D.C. in 2014 which you can read about here. This year we will be staying more local and are headed to Mackinac Island and the U.P.

3. Visit Chicago and my sister Andie and her husband Eric who live there

4. Have a get-together with my sorority sisters and their new babies. In the last few years tons of my friends from college have had kids and I can't wait to meet them and introduce them to our girls. It is crazy to think how much life has changed for us since CMU.

Already in 3 month clothes
5. Go to as many free popcorn Tuesdays at the movie theater as possible. For the last few summers Jose and I have gone to the MJR theater in my hometown on Tuesday mornings to see all the summer blockbusters since the tickets are cheap and they offer free popcorn. It's a great deal and this year I have already cleared with my mom that she won't mind watching the babies for us.

6. Meet my niece Caroline. Duh.

7. Go to Grand Rapids and spend time with my other niece, Daphne

8. Introduce the girls to our extended family and friends

9. Go to a baseball game

Caught holding hands
So there you have it: our summer bucket list for Michigan. We have about two more months to go before we fly out. We can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names