Grief is the price we pay for love.

My nephew Miles Daniel Potter was born prematurely a few days ago. He lived but a short while before passing away. My sister and her husband got to hold him and love him, and finally say goodbye. My mother was also there to welcome him into the world as well as when he left it. She told him about all of the people who loved him and would miss him. But is any of this really any consolation? How do you grieve a life that was never even begun? How do you say goodbye to someone you never met but loved all the same? Why did this happen?

Growing up I used to hate when my mother would tell me that "life isn´t fair." I guess she was right all along. Life isn´t fair, and it sucks. My family is devastated and I am halfway around the world. I always wanted to be an aunt, and I was for a little while without even knowing it. What now? Where do you go from here? There is nothing anyone can do to make it alright because it´s not. If you are the praying type, please pray for my sister and family. If not, please keep them in your thoughts. I do believe that grief is the price we pay for love and we all loved that baby from the moment we heard about the pregnancy. So here we are, searching for answers where there are none. Trying to make sense of the senseless, one day at a time.

Comments

  1. Allie... I am so very sorry. You and your family will be in my prayers. God bless... Tacia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Zi Kaffy loves you, too! I know that you will get your chance to be an auntie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie, I just saw this now. My thoughts are with you and your family. abrazos desde la Colina.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names