Packing like a boss

Counting on nice weather

Jose and I leave tomorrow EARLY in the morning to begin our day-long journey from Sevilla to Michigan. We have connections in both Madrid and Chicago but this time it seems as if we have enough time between flights to 1)not get too bored in the airport and 2)not have to sprint across the airport trying to make it to our gate before they close the cabin doors (both of which have happened in the past).

Today we have been packing and cleaning our apartment since it will be a while before we are back again. This summer we have decided to bring just one big suitcase between the two of us along with our standard carry-on items. Not only does this make traveling more comfortable but it also leaves us room for the inevitable things we buy at home (see crockpot, I really want one!). Luckily since we have international flights we get our one free checked back each but we have chosen to cut back since summer at the lake never requires all the clothing we have brought in the past. This time we are both sticking to bathing suits and summer clothes. We are counting on nice weather and don´t mind repeating outfits.

Packing tricks:

Almost all the clothes I packed fit in my carry-on:


I always roll most of my clothes. They seem to be less wrinkled when you arrive at your destination and also take up less space. Plus I have picked items that are all in the same color family (blues and yellows) so that I can wear different pieces together throughout the summer. I  also only packed basics: 1 pair of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 t-shirts, 2 tank tops, 2 dresses, 1 long sleeved shirt, 1 light sweater, 2 bathing suits, jammies, work out clothes, undergarments and shoes. Oh the joys of having access to a washing machine and gasp-a dryer!

A few more random thoughts

Because there is a good possibility that it might be a while before I post again, I just wanted to quickly add a few more updates before I sign off today. First, Jose and I added a small table and chairs to our balcony. It has now become our favorite breakfast spot since the mornings haven´t been too hot yet and we can listen to the fountain outside.


We are also still working at paring down the stuff in our apartment. Today we are taking another load to be donated! Slowly but surely we (mainly me) have been going through our things and making the decision that we don´t need them. If only I had done this before we moved it all from our old place to our new apartment. We would have saved a lot of energy. Damn.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names