Quarantine in Spain, Week 1

We have been on lock-down in Spain for a little over a week ever since the government announced that schools would close, most businesses as well and that life as we knew it would drastically change in an attempt to slow down the transmission of COVID 19. Spain has been hit hard by this virus and I won't go into how I feel about how the government has been handling things but suffice it to say that I am hoping things will begin to look better sooner than later.

Our quarantine is more than just social distancing. We are unable to leave our apartment except for necessary and justifiable reasons (going to the supermarket, the pharmacy, the hospital and little else). We are currently living in about 850 square feet of space, without the ability to go outside and play since that would risk us getting a fine. We are able to take Cooper out for a short walk in the vicinity of our apartment twice a day so at least Jose and I are getting some fresh air. The girls, not so much. Instead we have been trying to do YouTube exercise videos, dance parties and obstacle courses in the small space we have available.


We have also been passing the time doing lots of arts and crafts. Thank God for Pinterest. The girls have even come to expect and ask for a project each day. We are lucky in that Laura and Vera are young enough that there isn't any real school work that needs to be done. I feel for everyone who has all of the sudden been forced into homeschooling as well as working from home. Woof.

Although we are all going a bit stir-crazy, the girls seem not to have noticed that this is a stressful time for their parents. My goal through all of this is that they look back on it with fond if a bit strange memories. So even if we can't go anywhere we have been making forts, setting up libraries, helping with cooking, watching movies (the countdown to Disney + is real folks), wearing princess dresses and make up every day and drawing/coloring more than you can imagine. 


I am thankful that we are all still in good health and that as far as I know at this point no one close to us has been affected although we have family and friends who work in the medical profession and security forces and I worry about them all the time. I am concerned for all of the older family members that we have and I pray that they stay healthy. I am also thankful for my group of Mom friends who from the start agreed to stop sharing alarmist and possibly false information and rather only pass along uplifting and positive news. Right now being online at all raises my anxiety because of the amount of memes, posts, articles, blogs etc. about Covid 19. Technology has been a double edged sword in that it is keeping us connected to people but also is spreading information (whether true or not, whether helpful or not, whether necessary or not) like a virus itself. 


So here we are one week into the quarantine and although it was originally supposed to be 15 days I have a hard time believing it will be over so soon. We are doing ok, have been able to get the food and supplies that we need, are in good health and are keeping busy. Please be patient, be safe and be positive. I will try to keep you updated.


Comments

  1. I’m so glad to see you writing again! I have missed your adventures. CONGRATULATIONS on another baby! I love her name, so beautiful and fits the names ending in A : ). I’m sure you are very busy now, but I would love to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names