Surprise baby shower and pregnancy story

Surprisingly I felt like this pregnancy was harder than with Vera and Laura. I felt worse than when I was growing two babies and I chalk this up to already having two three year olds running around as well as working. I didn´t have morning sickness but was tired all the time and felt out of sorts. This pregnancy also seemed to go on forever since Carla was born at over 40 weeks. She was just too comfortable in there. Thankfully with how crappy I felt for a while, she has ended up being a nice baby so far so I will forgive her.



We found out I was pregnant in the fall and by Christmastime I was already feeling gross which affected my  family´s visit from the USA. I was bummed about that and tried to take it easy as much as possible. It was an overall uneventful pregnancy with no major complications and towards the end I did start to feel better (although I never got to experience that pregnancy glow that other women seem to have, what the hell?). Unfortunately we didn´t get a lot of good ultrasound pictures when we would go visit the doctor. Mostly Carla wasn´t interested in showing her beautiful face for the camera.


Jose and I had a difficult time trying to pick her name this go round but ended up with a short list of a few that we liked. We couldn´t nail one down until the day of my surprise baby shower thrown by my group of wonderful friends. One of them toasted to Carla (not knowing we hadn´t landed 100% on that name) and so in my mind it was decided.


I was completely surprised by my baby shower as I hadn´t expected anything for baby number three. One of my friends, Mariel sent me a message on the day before Memorial Day saying that she had met another American woman at a park mind you, who had invited her and a guest to a party at the fanciest hotel in downtown Seville (Alfonso 13). She asked me if I wanted to join in and although I thought it was a bit odd (having lived here for years and never hearing about a party for Americans and Memorial Day) I agreed to meet her, telling Jose I would probably be home soon. He was in on the whole thing.

Little did I know that my friends would be waiting in the beautiful patio for a tea to celebrate. It was a great surprise and we had fun chatting and playing some games. I feel so lucky to have found this group during a tough time for me when Vera and Laura were young. I felt pretty lonely during the day and when I saw on Facebook that a group of moms was going to start meeting for coffee I decided to join even if it meant dragging myself and two babies across Seville via metro. The first meet up I had to convince myself to go and I am so glad I did! 




As summer seemed to drag on and get hotter and hotter, Carla stubbornly stayed put. My mom flew in on the 4th of July since the doctor had told us she would probably be a bit early due to where the placenta was (he assumed we would schedule a c-section at around 38 weeks). That turned out not to be the case and my mom´s visit was coming to an end and still no baby. We went to the doctor on a Monday and finally decided on another section since she wasn´t coming any time soon and Carla was born the next day. My mom got to be with us in the hospital for two days before her flight home. She was a lot of help and I know that is part of the reason why I was able to go home with baby so soon.



Now Carla is two months old and is the sweetest, nicest baby. We are so lucky! She keeps getting chunkier and I love it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names