Laura and Vera: 6 month update

August has been a crazy busy month for us! We spent the majority of it back in Michigan with my family and then flew back to Spain on the 25th. As always, we get to the first of a new month and I can't believe my girls are already a month older, so much bigger, doing different things and at this point are becoming less infant-tiny baby like and are now biggie babies. 



The very beginning of the month of August found us still in Grand Rapids after our GAGME family reunion weekend ended. We stayed a few more days at my sister Katie's house to be able to hit up a few more breweries and to be able to hang out with my niece Daphne. I am not sure how much she enjoyed having her cousins stay longer at her house though. It is tough for her since she was the only grandchild for a while and then all of a sudden a bunch more came along. Jose and I love Grand Rapids, in fact we went back at the end of our trip again to complete the brewery passport that you can get and accumulate stamps at each place you visit, thus entitling you to a free t-shirt. Every time we are there we have lots of fun. It makes me wish that we lived a lot closer.




While in Michigan we were able to see my friends Erica and Ernie for a few days at my parents' house for a few days. We were lucky enough to hang out at the lake, go on the boat and go out to dinner together without babies! I love my girls but sometimes it is nice to get out and have adult conversations. Jose and I also had a date night which started at Outback Steakhouse and ended at Target of course. It's crazy to me that I can thoroughly enjoy being out without the girls but that I miss them at the same time.



We also went up north for the annual PUFO weekend with my mom and aunts. I know my aunts loved spending time with Vera and Laura but I wish there hadn't been so many black flies.

We had dinner with my cousin Diana and her husband and got to see her new house. Gabbie, her daughter, was adorable. She told me that both Laura and Vera gad said her name. I was more than disappointed that their first word wasn't mama ; )



I had a lot of my sorority sisters over for a day and got to meet all of their babies as well. For some of us it had been a long time and I am glad we got to catch up a bit. The weather was actually really nice that day so we could be outside, not like basically the rest of the summer which was so hot and humid. I have the impression that we didn't take advantage of being at the lake at all. I didn't want to take the twins in and out of the air conditioning too much in case they might get sick (seeing as how they both got a cold as soon as we arrived in July, blame that on the airplane I think).



We celebrated my niece Cawaline's (Caroline) first birthday at a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse themed party. We tried to get a good picture of all of the grandgirlies again but it is hard to coordinate four little ones. We took the photo with their collection of stuffed animals that we have dubbed Tonys. Between the four of them there are quite a few Tonys which are handmade, super soft, monstery-type things. Vera absolutely loves hers.



My mom cooked me a Thanksgiving dinner since it is my favorite holiday!




We had a pretty stress-free journey back to Spain. The girls behaved themselves for the most part and we are trying to get them back on a schedule which we have kind of lost of the summer. Jose just started work again today so Vera, Laura and I are figuring out what our days will look like again. I am still not sure of my work situation yet.

The day after we arrived was our niece Eva's baptism so we got to see all of Jose's family. We spent the next day together at the pool. It has been hot!!



Laura got her first teeth this month; in fact she has two of them. She had been drooling a ton but that wasn't anything new really. One day she started biting my finger and it hurt. I looked in her mouth and there was the first one. Now she has two that have broken through on the bottom. Vera is also drooly but doesn't appear to have anything even close to teeth yet.

Both babies are now eating rice cereal with a spoon. At least they are attempting it. Neither was very convinced at first which I can understand as it seems pretty gross. We will move on to fruit soon which is the recommended first food here in Spain (I realize it is different in the U.S.)





Laura and Vera are doing much better at tummy time and hold their heads up quite well. I imagine they will be crawling any time now and I am not sure I am ready for them to be mobile. We need to batten the hatches! We have also moved on to the next clothes size. They are huge compared to when they were born. 

Vera and Laura no longer fit in their double boppy and are completely capable of rolling off it (which makes me sad since they spent so much time snuggling in it when they were little). We have since made a baby dedicated space in our living room where we have placed those foam puzzle squares on the floor to make it softer since we have marble floors. We also have their toys there and their swing and play mat. My apartment is small so I need to keep the babies' stuff contained.

 Jose and I switched their stroller bassinets to actual stroller seats since the twins like to sit up and be able to see what's going on around them. They are a lot stronger than they were before and can hold their heads up fairly well. We also moved the second crib into their room and they have been sleeping the last few nights in the nursery and no longer together in one crib. So far they have been doing well and are only waking up once a night. When will they sleep the whole night through?????





As always you can find the other monthly updates in the links below:
First month
Second month
Third month
Fourth month
Fifth month


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names