Matchies!

Sometimes Jose and I accidently end up wearing similar clothing. It is never planned and generally entails a like-colored shirt and jeans. Most of the time one of us will change unless it is a last minute thing when we realize we are matching. When this kind of thing happens, I get sort of creeped out.

Here in Spain it is really common for parents to dress their children in the same outfits so that they match. We aren't talking about twins who are wearing the same onesie, something I can't imagine doing. (Don't you want to make sure you can tell them apart?) Here in Spain you might see a troop of kids all in the same dress and cardy or pants and shirt combo. They will have the same shoes and jacket sometimes, too. I can't figure out why they do this. Is it because they can get a bulk discount for buying several sizes of the same clothes? Is it sort of like the people who go to amusement parks all wearing the same shirts emblazoned with: Bubba's wife, Bubba's son, Bubba's mistress, Bubba? You want to be able to easily find those related to you? I don't get it.


When we head to Portugal we often see older, presumeably retired folks also decked out in matching attire. These people generally will be tourists or those who have come to escape the colder climates in their home country. When we see these retirees out trekking around, I will tell Jose how I am planning on us being matchies at that age. I've said it so often that he believes that matchies is a word. He also thinks I am serious about wearing the same awkward length cargo short pants and fleece jackets when we are old. Matchies!!! Can´t you just see it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names