"Teatcher hay lov you"

Recently some people back home have been asking me about my job here in Spain so I figured I would write a quick blog to describe it. I am currently working at an all-girls, private, Catholic school where I teach Science (in English) and conversation (also in English). I work in the primary school with girls all the way from 1st to 5th grades. You can imagine that every day is interesting and that working with so many different ages in their second language has its challenges. My students call me "Teacher" or Miss (easier for them and not denoting my marital status) Alexandra. They are mostly adorable and all wear uniforms. Of course there is the occasional child that you want to send home and ask never to return but all in all they are pretty sweet.

Part of my job involves supervising recess a few times a week. This has been like an sociology/anthropology course since I am able to observe the groups of girls in their natural habitats. As soon as I walk outside I have my 3 or 4 girls that search me out and give me a hug. Then there are the tattlers who come up to tell on other girls. "Maria stole my doll." "Maria won't let me play." "Maria is tunneling under the fence in an attempt to escape." Next you can almost always expect some tears whether from hurt feelings or from taking a tumble. So far I have not experienced any serious injuries and have only had to administer minor first aid. In a way, the playground is like a prison yard. The girls get their daily exercise before being put back in their classroom cells. They form small groups and appear to be plotting a riot or break. Their contraband are stickers and let me tell you, they are a HOT item. Girls have whole albums and spend recess trading and showing off their latest and greatest additions. Their sticker collections are impressive even to me which is saying something for someone who grew up with Lisa Frank.

So far I am enjoying my job. It has its downsides of course. They have a fairly strict dresscode and we do a lot of praying (like a rosary a day praying). I like working with still innocent, sweet girls who think boys are yucky and can still pull off pigtails. Girls who write me notes and draw me pictures. I do miss my big kids at times too though. I miss being able to have a conversation that doesn't revolve around Spongebob. I miss not spending half my class asking girls to sit down and quiet down (classroom management is my biggest struggle). On the other hand, I don't have to deal with cellphones or students rolling in with hangovers so I guess you have to look on the bright side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names