American Women's Club and learning not to mess with nettles

Since I will be living here in Spain for the foreseeable future, I have decided to make an effort to meet new and like-minded people. In that pursuit I decided to join the American Women's club in Seville. This is a group that hosts different events (like picnics, holiday parties, dinners, book club, children play groups) throughout the year with the only requirement being that you speak (or attempt) English. Most of the members are women like me who have married Spaniards (be they American, British, Australian, Canadian). Some of my co-workers are involved and though I am one of the younger members, I have been enjoying being able to spend time with people who can relate to my situation.

Yesterday, Jose, Cooper and I partook in a hike hosted by the club. We drove about an hour and a half to the mountains and met up with about 20 other people to walk through the woods to a city where we stopped for a beer (of course) and then made the return trip and had a consequent picnic. Here is the group. I bet you can tell who was Spanish and who was (very obviously) Anglo:


During the hike we passed by farms with pigs (soon to be jamon-yummm) and cows. We wandered past streams and through mud. The countryside was beautiful, peaceful. At one point I thought to myself, "it is so nice to be able to walk through the woods and not have to worry about poison ivy" (which is basically my kriptonite). "Plants are so much less threatening here. Look, there is some mint," said I, leaning down to pick some to smell it. STUPID STUPID STUPID. That wasn't mint, it was stinging nettles. Talk about a bad ass plant. Ouch. My hand is still hurting. Of course a Brit walking by saw the whole thing and thought only after the fact to say, "Oh yes deary we have that in my country. Nettles, nasty buggers. Cheerio." Then she scuttled off to apply more sunscreen to her pasty brood. Needless to say, I learned my lesson: STAY AWAY FROM GREEN THINGS.

All in all, it was a good day but we did end quite tired. This was everyone on the ride home. At least I know that Cooper does not object to a siesta. Thank God.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names