Top Chef: Sevillian Pop Rocks Challenge

Yesterday was Jose and my two year anniversary. Because we were living half a world apart last year, we decided to actually celebrate this time around. Jose got home from work to find me still sleeping my siesta (how romantic) and he gifted me an automatic coffee maker (just what I wanted). We hung around the apartment until dinner time when he misteriously told me it was time to go to places unknown. After driving around for 20 minutes trying to find a parking spot that wasn´t in the city center where you can now only be for 45 minutes before being fined, we opted to park in a structure that seemed miles away after making the 3 block trek in my heels. When we finally arrived at the restaurant I knew it was worth the walk. Located in the same plaza as a famous church called El Gran Poder (The Great Power which always makes me think of the Genie in Aladdin, although I believe his was infinite cosmic power and an itty bitty living space) the restaurant was well decorated and fancy (read expensive) as Jose put it. We were the only people there besides another older couple and so we ended up having amazing service. We decided to order the chef´s menu which consisted of an appetizer, a fish course, a meat dish and dessert, plus we got a bottle of wine to celebrate. The appetizer arrived and to the naked eye looked like salmorejo (a cold tomato based soup) garnished with tuna and cucumber but AHA! you wouldn´t and I didn´t guess that it had unflavored pop rocks or at least that sparking sensation included. Interesting. I guess it was some kind of experimental cuisine. On to the next round, ding ding. The fish was halibut (I think) with mushrooms and a vegetable sauce. Yum! Afterwards came the meat dish. Double yum! Finally it was time for dessert: arroz con leche with chocolate cookies and...wait for it...wait for it...MORE POP ROCKS! WTF? It wasn´t bad, not by a long stretch but two plates that sizzled and fizzled in my mouth? I would imagine that if the Top Chef contestants were given the challenge to incorporate nostalgic candy into their dishes the result may have been similar. I wonder what the judges would have said about our meal. All in all, the food was good and the company even better. Happy 2 year Jose!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names