Michigan Renaissance Festival: Huzzah!

Turkey legs and wizard blankets

This weekend Jose and I decided we wanted to experience our first Renaissance Festival since I have been hearing about it for years from lots of people who mostly raved about the giant turkey legs and ridiculous costumes. We arrived early and I was shocked by how many cars were already in the parking lots but then I got excited when we ended up parked next to a group of folks dressed up as knights and what I can best describe as fairies. I knew it was going to get better from there.

Jose at the entrance
The venue itself was much larger than I expected with shops and restaurants that seemed to be permanent installations. We walked around the perimeter checking out what people were selling (lots of costumes, weaponry and other nerdy odds and ends like unicorn horns and dragon art). They also had quite a few stages set up around which featured different acts like juggling, magic, comedy and singing.

Who wouldn´t want this super awesome wizard blanket?
Bawdy wenches

For me the best part of this Renaissance Festival was the people watching by far. I don´t get really in to the whole costumes thing, not even around Halloween. The same cannot be said for the folks we saw on Saturday. I don´t think there was necessarily a theme for what they were wearing besides fantasy and old-timey. We saw friars, princesses, mermaids and lots of other not so Renaissance-esque costumes. There was royalty, knights, bawdy wenches and lords and ladies.

Even this dog was wearing a kilt
I am sure these people were nice enough but honestly what grown adult people enjoy wearing such things that much besides the characters from the Big Bang Theory? And there were so many of them, getting really into their characters, walking around speaking with weird accents and shouting "huzzah." Whatever floats your boat I guess but I would rather remain an outsider and observer (especially considering how hot it was) though Jose and I did discuss what we would wear if we were ever to dress up. I think conquistadors and Jose suggested inquisitors from the Inquisition.


Here is a good cross section of the different types of costumes we saw
Jousts

We stayed long enough to see what I would consider the day´s main event, the joust. It was presided over by a Queen and there were several knights who competed. A lot of the audience got really into it. I can only hope that the people involved were paid for their services although I know there are fans who wait all year for when the Festival will be back in town again. To each their own I guess. Huzzah!

The jousting opening ceremonies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names