We have 2 two-year-olds

It is official, we have 2 two-year-olds at home and although I was afraid, very afraid, things have been pretty good so far. We haven´t had many meltdowns or tantrums but we have been hearing a lot more NO! The girls want to do stuff for themselves and they have their own ideas about everything. Laura and Vera have been talking a lot more in general, too. They are still mixing languages and using their own twinspeak but have a lot more words and are making short sentences. 


We hosted a birthday party for the girls at the beginning of the month and invited both family and friends. We ended up having a lot of people come and I think everyone had a good time. First we had a paella with Jose´s family and then later cake and treats with the rest of the guests. Vera and Laura had a blast playing in the bouncy castle and ball pit. It was a great day that started with birthday pancakes and ended with two exhausted toddlers and two wrecked parents.





On the actual day of their birthday both Jose and I had to work so we had a pretty normal schedule except it just so happened to be music class that afternoon which the girls love so that was special. They go with Jose to music class once a week to sing and clap, play instruments and have fun. I took them last year to baby music class and I wish my schedule would allow me to go this year as well : ( Boo to working in the afternoons but alas, it is very important for us that I am home with the girls as much as possible in the morning to help consolidate their English before they eventually start school in the majority language. Perspective people! Sometimes I have to remind myself why we make the choices we do for our family. At least I can say that they align with our values and goals. (I plan on writing a post about our bilingual journey soon).





It has been raining a ridiculous amount the past month or so and we are hoping that it slows down soon because these girls need to run around outside. We are getting a bit stir crazy here. Being stuck inside so much has only reinforced in my mind that we are gradually outgrowing our apartment. We have been living in a tiny house before it was cool, and let me tell you that having two small children in a tight space is a chore. We are looking for solutions for our space like storage units and reorganizing. We even looked into taking the wall down between the living room and the kitchen but have since decided against it. Instead we are trying to make our apartment work for a while longer so that we can eventually start another house hunt.



The girls love coloring, which they call "cole." They are readers and LOVE books which means that Jose and I have memorized a lot of them from having read them over and over again. They like Peppa Pig and Nemo. We have tea parties almost daily and we bought them a kitchen for their birthday so we have also been cooking a lot. Vera and Laura play with their baby dolls and like pushing their strollers around. They are busy all the time! It is so fun to watch them develop their personalities and likes and dislikes. They are so different from one another, both physically and in personality. But of course, they are equally as adorable!



On a final note, I have found a group of other young, English-speaking moms with kids around Laura and Vera´s age and I couldn´t be happier. We meet about once a week for a coffee and a chat and besides the fact that I genuinely like these women, it is nice to have people who can not only relate to my stage of life but also to living outside my native country. Shout out to these moms! I am so happy that I made myself go to the first meet-up months ago even when I really didn´t want to. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names