Christmas and holiday celebrations 2017-2018

I figured that before this first month of this new year ended I should probably post about our adventures during Christmas and the holiday season (mostly before I forgot what everything we did and who we saw). So here goes:

Jose and I being teachers have a nice long break from work during Christmas and this year it started on the 22nd, a Friday. That day at our girls´daycare the fantastic and ever patient women who work there created a living Nativity scene with all of the children so we dressed Laura and Vera up like shepherdesses and in my opinion they were the stars of the show. I know that every parent thinks that and realize that they were being plied with cookies and cheetos to sit there nicely, but they looked so damn cute! A bonus was the chocolate and churros that they served all the parents after the "performance."




We had basically just enough time to get everything organized and prepared for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day which we always celebrate with Jose´s side of the family (one day for each of his parents´respective families). We spend the two days in their village and eat too much but have a blast. It´s even more fun now that Santa can come for the littles. Laura HATED him but Vera eventually sort of warmed up to the big guy, trying to take everyone else´s presents.




The day after Christmas we were all supposed to go to meet with a big group of our friends but I woke up with a bad, puffy and painful reaction on my eyelid so I bowed out. Jose went with the girls instead. I did, however, make it out to see our friend and Vera´s godfather, Salva, Quasimodo eye and all. We met him for lunch.


Soon after it was New Year´s Eve (I don´t know how the time flew by on our two weeks off but it did). We had dinner with Jose´s parents and rang in the New Year in a traditional Spanish way, with our grapes. Gone are the days of going out to party on New Year´s Eve. I think we both crashed pretty soon after midnight. Alas, this is the life of a parent. Maybe someday we will be fun again. 


The next day my parents arrived for a visit for the rest of our break. We took them into our town to see the Christmas lights and to ride the Christmas train which we discovered last year. I had been amping up the girls for weeks with how much fun we were going to have on the choo choo since they love them. Vera promptly fell fast asleep in the car and didn´t wake up during the entire ride, beeping horn, loud music, chiming bell and all.



We all spent the next few days staying in a casa rural up in the mountains where we got to relax, hang out by the chimney, play cards and barbeque. It´s my favorite place in the south of Spain and the girls love it there, too. They got to see a lot of horses and play outside a lot. We ate some good food and the weather cooperated for the most part.




The one unfortunate thing about being gone was that we ended up missing our local 3 Kings parade since they decided to move it up a day early due to bad weather. We didn´t get to take the girls out to see the Reyes Magos this year because of the rain and due to the fact that they were both feeling a bit under the weather themselves but the Wisemen did NOT miss our house on their travels bringing gifts to all the good little boys and girls in Spain. Vera and Laura were spoiled again!







They got new books, a playdoh set, an art set and from their abuelos they got tricycles. I think they enjoyed opening their presents and ripping the paper and then were even more excited when they realized that all their grandparents were all together when my in-laws came to have breakfast with us and later go out to lunch. We ate the traditional roscón de Reyes cake and then went out to lunch.


My parents stayed a few more days before having to go back to the States while Jose and I had to get back to work. All in all, it was a pretty low key holiday break. We got to see a lot of our families and spend some good time with our friends. But mostly we took it easy this year and I am glad. Last year I think running around so much contributed to our being put in the hospital with Laura for two weeks in January. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season! Happy New Year!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names