Vera and Laura's ONE YEAR update

Taaaaa daaaaaa! We made it through our first year and everyone survived! It has been rough at times (I have spent more time with doctors and in the hospital with the girls in this past 12 months than I had in my entire 30 years). But here we are with two beautiful, happy little chunks who just celebrated their birthdays on March 1st.


February was a low key month for us. The weather hasn't been that great (although it is feeling more like spring with every passing day) so we have mostly stayed in. We did spend the last weekend of the month in Portugal for a change of scenery and because it was a long, holiday weekend but other than that we have been here.


The girls started a music class and they love it. It is once a week for 45 minutes and they are generally the youngest and yet most enthusiastic kids in the class. They get to use all kinds of handheld musical instruments like bells and maracas. The most fun they have are with the drumsticks which become deadly weapons in their hands.


We have also been trying out different kinds of foods so that we can start having Vera and Laura eat more solids and less baby food. So far it has been hit or miss. Strawberries were a definite bust which surprised me a bit. The girls have got a pretty good eating and sleeping schedule going and are almost to sleeping through the night. YESSSSSSS!!!


Both babies have new teeth coming in which makes for a total of 6 each. Luckily they don't get too fussy while teething. In fact, I usually can tell they have a new one because they are more drooly than usual.

We also went to get first haircuts in February because I couldn't handle the mullets that they had going. There is a children's salon quite close to my house where I took them that had special car shaped seats and a TV to distract them. Both babies did well although I think they were a bit confused about the whole thing.


Vera now sits up and stands up all by herself. She is able to move around while holding on to something for support and her crawling game is on point. She likes to sit practically on top of Laura which of course makes her sister cry. Vera (in fact both girls) have become copy cats and like to imitate what other people. If I cough, they fake cough. If one laughs, usually the other will too. Vera also points at everything and likes to put her finger in people's faces. She's a weirdo.


Laura is scooting around on her butt but will NOT crawl. She is a bit lazy I think and is comfortable just sitting and playing wherever she is placed. Laura has been feeling much better this past month and it shows. 


Both girls are very vocal and are making all kinds of sounds but still no real words. I am still practicing mama with them every day. I have had some interest in whether we are raising them to be bilingual and yes, that is the case. I speak to them all day in English and they get Spanish input since it is the community language. For me it's very important that they be able to speak and understand both.


We had a small birthday party for Laura and Vera last weekend with some friends and their kids. It was a fun time and I know the girls enjoyed their first cupcake. Funfetti of course. 


So there you have it. A year in the life of our twins. Cheers to everyone who has followed our journey thus far; I hope you have enjoyed it!

Comments

  1. Happy first birthday to those beautiful girls! I have enjoyed reading their monthly birthdays. I hope you keep blogging though, it's fun to see how you and your family are doing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names