Gearing up for the World Cup (and a wedding thrown in)

Did you know that the World Cup soccer tournament starts soon? If you live in a country which revolves around this sport (anywhere outside the US) then chances are you do. Around these parts almost all advertisements are focusing on this big event. (Mostly for televisions and team apparel so that you can follow the action in high def and sporting new duds). Jose has already let me know that he plans on watching all (or as much as he can) of the 64 games soon to be broadcasted. This is going to be my personal hell. But as a good wife I understand that the World Cup only comes around once every 4 years (thank God) and I can appreciate that Jose has been trying to get me excited for it.

He first bought me a team USA t-shirt to wear while we cheer on America. Apparently they are in a pretty difficult bracket with Germany, Portugal and Ghana so he has also been preparing me for disappointment. Next game the World Cup sticker album (I wrote about Jose's obsession with these cromos before, read it here). It features all the teams that will compete, stickers with the players, their shields (which are holigrams and according to Jose are worth 2 if you go to trade with other kids) and even has the dates that teams play against one another. The idea is that you buy packets of stickers and stick them in their corresponding spot. Should be easy enough but apparently I don't follow Jose's very meticulous, time-tested system. He tries hard not to interfere but has more than once said, "Allie, noooooo. Look at how you aren't putting them inside their designated boxes." I can see how this will be when we have kids.

His last effort to get me involved in the World Cup histeria which is ramping up was to go see the Spanish National team (La Furia Roja as they are known) play in a friendly game against Bolivia last Friday. I have to admit that I had a good time at the game, more so because of the other spectators and being with good friends than the game itself which was a bit boring.

Our group
Did you know that the Spanish national anthem doesn't have words? Yes, that's right. Instead of singing anything, the people just say lo, lo, lo, lo along with the music. It's so weird. I mean, write some poetic words about how great your country is, or how much you love football, or how you used to be the strongest empire in the world but now not so much. In any case, Spain ended up winning 2-0.

Jose sporting his new jersey
On Saturday we went to a wedding in Jose's hometown where our friends, Ciri and Rocio, got married in a beautiful ceremony and reception. The bride and groom arrived in a helicopter to the hacienda where all their guests were waiting to begin the cocktail hour which was quite original. I am not sure I would have had the guts for that kind of ride.


I also LOVED Rocio's dress. It was beautiful and I snuck a picture of the back because I am a creep. It had both lace and fringe and was structured like a flamenca dress might be. Gorgeous. 


We had a good time eating and then dancing with our friends all day and into the night. They had great music which for me is essential at a wedding. Sometimes the songs that are played at events here in Spain are unknown to me because they are old or very Spanish but this wasn't the case yesterday. They played lots of pop and American music. All in all, very fun. Plus our friends let me hold their baby who is so sweet and just slept in my arms. Swoon.


Comments

  1. OK, Allie, you said for better or worse (I don't know what they say in a Spanish wedding ceremony), so suck it up and have fun. Soccer is definitely more fun than golf--oh yeah, I took golf lessons like a dutiful wife and totally bombed out! At least during a soccer game you can drink! For me, the World Cup is exciting and I was delighted to see Spain play in the finals (served up tapas and Rioja that night), even though I struggled with myself since I should have been rooting for Italy. I went with my Spanish soul over my Italian blood that day! I know that MIchael Corleone would say that I should never go against the family, but...oh, well! ¡Así es la vida!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names