Books I have read in October

Here is a list of the books I have read during the months of October AND November. I figured since I was reading the rest of the novels in the Game of Thrones series (at least those published up until this point) that I might as well wait and post about them all at once.


A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

This is the second in the Game of Thrones series. I enjoyed it as much as the first and it has inspired me to continue with the television show through its third, bloody season. In these books each chapter is told from a different characters' point of view and there are a ton of twists and turns. You have to take your time to keep things straight.





A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

As you probably have guessed, this is the third installment of the series. The first half of this novel served as the basis of the third season of the T.V. show. I am still enjoying this series though it is beginning to become complicated to keep all the different story lines straight. Plus I am constantly feeling like characters are being offed only to be replaced by another quite quickly.




A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Marting

The fourth novel and the fifth go together in that they follow the same basic time line but tell the stories of characters that are physically in different places, so these two books compliment each other. This bothered me as I was reading book 4 because I wanted to know what was happening with some of my favorite characters but didn't hear anything about them until book 5. 





A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

By the time I finished this novel I was exhausted. The Game of Thrones series is around 5000 pages long thus far (according to my Nook). Overall I would say I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next novel that will be released hopefully sooner rather than later (though it is hard to say since the author has taken like 20 years to write this much). My one complaint while reading has been all the side narratives and such that don't seem to add that much to the actual story (although maybe they will in the future). Things get complicated. Just when you think you have things straight, there is another region, character, intrigue that you have to figure out. It is exhausting at times.

 I am glad that I have had my sister (thank you for the hour long Facetimes, Katie) to talk with about this series since I can't reveal any of the goings-on to Jose who is only following the TV show. I demand that he read the books so that we can compare notes but he is not so sure. I am very much surprised by how much I ended up liking this series since I usually am not drawn to fantasy novels (unless we are talking Harry Potter). I would recommend these books to people who have a lot of time to read. These are not stories to begin and then leave for a while only to come back to them. I imagine that would be very difficult to do. If you do read them, let me know and we can exchange theories about what is coming next!

After spending a good two months plowing through these novels I am taking a bit of a break and re-reading one of my favorite books of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names