Game of Thrones headed to Seville

Gardens in the Alcazar Palace, Seville
If you know me well, you probably know that I have a slight obsession with "Game of Thrones" (both the book and television series). I mean, if you want to take theories for how this will all wrap up, just let me know. I've got a lot. Recently we had been hearing on the news that the HBO hit was scouting locations here in the south of Spain to shoot some of the next season. I always suspected they were looking to find the perfect place to set the kingdom of Dorne, Prince Oberyn's (did you see that head just EXPLODE???) home. The descriptions of this part of the seven Kingdoms always sounded Mediterranean to me and the actor (Chilean I believe) who portrayed the late Oberyn certainly had a Spanish-speaker's accent.

Well, it has been confirmed via the U.S. ambassador to Spain that yes, Dorne will be done in the south of Spain and that more specifically some scenes will be shot right here in Seville!! (Read the article here.) Besides Seville we have also heard that a somewhat smaller and not-so-well-known town called Osuna will also be used for shooting. 

One of the many fountains in the Alcazar
All of this is quite exciting as a fan but I also appreciate what this could mean for our local economy. I only hope that HBO doesn't overstep and completely take over one of Seville's most important tourist attractions (the Alcazar) while they are here. Little known fact, Jose once worked at the Alcazar during his University years and we still have connections with the security staff there. Who knows? We might become big creepers and try to find our way on set. And you better believe that if there is ANY kind of call for extras we are going. In the mean time, I will be brushing up on my High Valerian.


Comments

  1. I totally agree about picturing Dorne in the Mediterranean !! (that head explosion was unbelievable! excellent episode right!?!)
    I have never been to Spain but I am saving to go next year and with any luck live there...eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam! Spain is beautiful and worth the visit, especially here in the south. We just recently came across a call for extras for the show and can't wait to see if we are chosen!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names