And the best actor Oscar goes to...

José and I have discovered a theater here in Sevilla that actually shows films in their original version, NOT dubbed which I hate. Though I have known of this theater´s existance for some time, I was either too lazy or was basically boycotting and refusing to see anything there after I found out they weren´t going to show the latest Harry Potter. Because I cannot stand to see dubbed movies, we had only been to see Spanish films in the regular theaters since I arrived in August.
People claim that Spanish dubbing is actually some of the best in the world. I would absolutedly hate to see the worst. I may have said this before, but I think dubbed movies sound way overdone, the actors seem to be over acting, the actresses always come across hysterical, the laughter is fake, the mouths don´t match up with the sounds they are supposedly producing. I know what certain actors are supposed to sound like and can´t stand when their voice isn´t what I am expecting.
With all of this in mind, I really wanted to see "The King´s Speech" because I had heard such good things about it. I refused however to see said film dubbed especially when the whole premise is based upon how the protagonist overcomes his stutter. When I found out this one theater was showing it in its original version with Spanish subtitles I was thrilled. José and I went one Saturday afternoon and were pleasantly surprised when we received coupons for 2 for 1 tickets in the future. Since then we have been to see "Hereafter" as well as "True Grit." I have been pleasantly surprised by all of the films I have seen of late.
I was however torn when I read about the Oscar nominations for best actor this year. I loved Colin Firth (who doesn´t) but I also thought that Jeff Bridges was awesome. I saw "Social Network" and thought Jesse Eisenberg was alright playing his pricky character but he doesn´t really compare to my other two favorites. Javier Bardem is out because he is Penelope Cruz´s baby daddy and I can´t stand her. To me it doesn´t matter if "Biutiful" was a great movie and he did a great job in it. I can´t get past the fact that he is married to P.C. Which brings us to James Franco and 127 hours. I didn´t see it but I have a hard time believing watching some dude trapped under a rock saw his arm off after 2 hours can be that great. In any case, I have at least seen the majority of the movies that are heavily nominated this year and have heard of the rest. Let´s not talk about last year and "The Hurt Locker." I am still thinking WTF on that one.
I was really torn on who I thought should win the best actor Oscar until Sunday when it finally came to me. I really loved both Colin Firth and Jeff Bridges but I finally figured out who should win the award in a moment of true inspiration. This year, the best actor Academy Award goes to...drum roll please...soccer players. If in this one year I have been forced to watch more soccer than I would ever hope to see in my life (Sunday included), I think that soccer players and their drama and acting on the field are worthy of an Oscar. Why? Well, because they really are good actors. If you have ever watched a game you know. Someone trips a player and that player is automatically rolling on the ground as if they had a fractured ankle and a broken wrist, that is until the referree doesn´t see them or say anything and then they are up sprinting down the field again. Another player jumps to head the ball and falls to the ground where he stays flexing his legs for 5 minutes while displaying some serious acting chops, enough so that other players gather around (in their supporting roles they too could be nominated). Players can be serious, or comedic, tragic or euphoric. They deserve to win the best actor Oscar as a whole. I realize some are better than others, some more whiney, some more painfully realistic, some more angry but they play the part well. That is why I think soccer players are deserving of an Academy Award for their acting abilities. Because you hate to think that they are just a bunch of whiney babies who put on a show until no one plays into their charade like a little kid who falls and looks to others for approval before starting to wail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names