Twinning update

I figure it is about time for another baby update, so here it is. We are now about 5 months into the pregnancy and things are chugging along. I am still pretty tired a lot and haven't been gaining weight but I do have the start of a baby bump. It seems as if my weight is redistributing itself and each visit to the doctor confirms that both babies are growing exactly the way they should. 

Baby A, the best ultrasound picture where you can actually see a baby shape
We are not having identical twins but rather fraternal which means that they won't look the same. In fact, fraternal twins are basically like any other kind of sibling just that they are born at the same time. Since they are fraternal we are looking at any combination of sexes for the two babies.

A few months ago when we went to the doctor for an anatomy ultrasound in which they checked all the organs and limbs, sizes and whatnot of the babies, neither baby cooperated with the doctor and both stayed in whatever position they felt most comfortable in. It seemed as if they were snuggled in a spot that they liked and did not want to move even though I had had a juice before the scan in order to wake them up a bit. Needless to say, the doctor was unable to tell us the sex of either baby at the time.

The last time we went to the doctor one of the babies was quite squirmy. I still don't feel them move around or at least don't recognize the sensation so seeing the baby flipping around and then later kicking at its sibling on the monitor was a bit odd. This baby cooperated enough for the doctor to confirm to us that it is.............a GIRL!!! So baby A, if nothing changes is a baby girl. We were of course excited for this news and hopeful to hear what we could expect for the other baby. When they doctor began the ultrasound on baby B, again, it didn't want to cooperate and stayed where it was comfortable so the doctor couldn't get a good view. We left that appointment not knowing the sex. However, the doctor did say he thought it would be another girl. I don't really know if I trust this or not since we have recently known several couples who were told one sex one month only to find out they were expecting something else. Only time will tell I guess.


Betis pacifiers for Jose's birthday
We head back to the doctor at the end of the month and are hoping for a confirmation of the sex of baby B. Now that we know we are having one girl we have started planning things a bit more, picking up clothes and diapers, deciding what we will do for the nursery, thinking about a baby shower (which will be interesting, I am at least hoping to Skype in if my family gets together back home). I have been reading a lot about twins so that I feel like we are somewhat prepared although I realize this will be impossible. 

All in all, so far, so good. I am taking it easy and hoping to keep these babies growing for as long as possible. Right now we are considered a low risk twin pregnancy and I hope that doesn't change. 

Start of accumulating baby stuff

Also on sort of a random note, Cooper has been keeping me company since I am not working. He follows me around and loves to lay either on top of me or right next to me. I think he knows something is up. In fact, most recently if Jose hugs me or gets to close, Cooper will get nervous and whine like he wants to protect me. I hope he adapts well to having two little buddies around.

Comments

  1. So happy for you and José, Allie! I will be interested in your choice of names when you choose to share. It seems that every woman we know in Spain is some type of María (MariCarmen, Marité, MaríElena, MariEmilia (Emi) ) or other Virgin Mary name (Inmaculada, Concepción) either as a first or middle name. God Bless You! Un abrazo, Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We decided on Vera for one baby and are still debating the other name. You are right that lots and lots of women have Maria or a variation. Jose has two cousins named Maria and two grandmas named Maria plus his sister is Miriam...

      Delete
  2. Congrats Allie! Twins!! I hope your pregnancy goes well. I do t know if you knew her but Katherine Deptula has twins and would help answer any questions. She's on Facebook, Katherine Keheres.

    Stacey Nalepa (our moms were besties and did Girl Scouts)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I remember you and your mom. I hope all is well with you and your family!!

      Delete
  3. So happy for you both and those beautiful babies! I know they will be as wonderful as you and Jose are! Keep these posts coming! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names